Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Official P.J. Proby Fan Forum

PJProby.net HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Poll Poll
Question: What is your favourite Proby album?

« Last Modified by: Forum Administrator on: 29th Nov, 2010 at 10:00pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Discuss and vote for your favourite P.J.P album! (Read 32831 times)
Reply #15 - 11th Apr, 2011 at 7:24pm
p_j_pete   Ex Member

I can understand how difficult it is to choose one from so many good albums over nearly 50 years but my vote would have to go to 'Believe It Or Not''.  I have the UK release on vinyl and CD so still play it all the time  I also have the USA release with What's Wrong with my World' included at the expense of 'I Shall be Released.'  A shame that both tracks aren't on the same album.
'I Apologise' has always been my favourite single closely followed by 'I can't make it alone'.  I bought Billy Eckstein's version of 'I Apologise' on a 78 at a car boot recently but sadly I'm unable to play it on my turntable.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 8th Aug, 2011 at 8:36pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
P.J. is the best vocalist
ever!

It's been 8 month's since we started the search for the fans favourite P.J.Proby album. Looks like the winner will be, with almost 30% of the votes, "Believe It Or Not". Second so far is "In Town" & in third place "Legend".Three wonderful albums containing all sorts of fabulous tracks.
    I'm happy my top two P.J. albums ("In Town" & "Legend") are 2nd & 3rd in the poll. I actually think that P.J. has never made a bad album....I love them all!
  Keep the votes coming in & maybe we can name the true winner after a year.
     Ron Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 8th Aug, 2011 at 11:39pm
rgledhill   Ex Member

my fav.album i am pj proby.
fav song 1964 version i believe.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 19th Oct, 2011 at 11:38pm
Vic   Ex Member

Hi

My vote is also for In Town - many reasons... it was my dad's favourite and he had the original vinyl and also it came into my life just as I was beginning to take note of music, about 7 or 8 so it resonates with me on a deep level as meories do.  I rediscovered the album at 40 when my tastes had matured and I was actually going backwards to Nat Cole, Count Basie, Sammy Davis etc and I stumbled on it again... I played it solid for a week and it is still in my iTunes most played list..... I am 49 now so figure that one out for yourselves.

I think it gets stick from some quarters because it is basically show tunes and covers and Jim is much more than this of course but for me that is irrelevant... Jim's voice is so moving, accentuated by the strings and orchestration and he sings like he is feeling every emotion in the songs... the indication of a real soul man.  I just have to stop whatever I am doing and listen... What kind of fool am I  rips me up and is the only cover of this song which comes close to Sammy Davis.

Lots of songs I really like as well - 'I believe' (60's version) is better than Elvis in my opinion and 'Hold me' out does the Beatles (and it was written by Lennon I believe).

Nice to be on the board.  Smiley

Vic

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 20th Oct, 2011 at 10:10am

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Hi Vic,
   Whatever you do do not go on YouTube & say some songs by P.J. are better than the versions by Elvis!! Some Elvis fans go nuts when they read this LOL! ...& they really start shooting below the belt at us P.J. fans & at P.J. himself. They are very rude so I give them both barrels back plus some!!
   Ron Wink

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 20th Oct, 2011 at 10:18am

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Hold Me written in the 40's by Little,Oppenheim & Schuster as a passionate ballad. P.J. & Jack Good got hold of it & turned it into one of the wildest rockers ever.
   The Lennon/McCartney song P.J. did was "That Means A Lot". This was in 1965...The Beatles had a bash at it,I've heard it & agree with their thoughts at the time.They were not up to recording such an unusual song so they passed it on to P.J.Proby who made it a gem!It sounds so modern 45 years later.
    Ron  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print