Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Official P.J. Proby Fan Forum

PJProby.net HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
P.J. rare demo found. (Read 19202 times)
7th Jan, 2011 at 3:41pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
P.J. is the best vocalist
ever!

hi everyone,
     A few months ago a rare demo record made for an Elvis film was advertised on E-bay. Titled "Holiday In Acapulco" from late 1962 the seller said the singer was P.J.Proby. I listened to it & no way was it P.J. Between us the seller & I discovered the writer of the demo song was also the singer Don Robertson.The song never made it onto the final film soundtrack."Fun In Acapulco" won the duel! (Written by Ben Weisman, with the demo by P.J.)
The U.S. seller revealed he had in his collection another demo made for Elvis in about 1961/62. This one was definitely P.J.Proby & the songwriters were Sid Wayne & once again Ben Weisman.The song is called "I'll Keep Your Secret" & is absolutely brilliant. It turned out that Elvis did not record the song in the end so the demo was simply put aside by Ben. The current owner of the record sent a top quality copy of the song to P.J. who instantly recognised it. Now Dutch Brand will be putting this gem onto CD very soon for us fans to own.I can't wait!! D.B. will give us details about the release very soon.
    Ben passed away a few years ago but he had an amazing 57 of his songs done by Elvis....a recording record no-one can beat.Of course there were a few of his masterpieces that did not make it onto the King's agenda,"I'll Keep Your Secret" is one of them.No matter, the demo done by P.J. is a rare diamond that Elvis could not have bettered anyway!!
     RON  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 7th Jan, 2011 at 4:59pm
heather   Ex Member

Look forward to the new CD Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 7th Jan, 2011 at 6:53pm

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

Hi Everybody,
Ron is absolutely right! We hope to release the CD single soon and probably it will be for sale at the One Night With Elvis shows!
It's an absolute gem...
Some people are saying the song might have been to complicated for Elvis. Just judge for yourselves...  Wink

If you don't try the impossible, you won't reach the impossible
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 7th Jan, 2011 at 8:10pm

andy cole   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Hi Everyone

This is indeed good news and cant wait to hear the new record.     Also I e-mailed Ron before Xmas as 3 acetates purporting to be Demos for Elvis by Jett Powers were up for sale on E-Bay. Couldnt afford the price they went for but I Am wondering if it was a Big P.J. Fan who bought them? and if so were they by P.J.? and does anyone know if we will ever get to hear them.?

Ron believed they could be genuine and so do I.

The Three records from memory were " Big Hunk of Love"
" Treat me Nice" and " Love me Tender"

It would be great if anyone can shed some light on this.

Andy.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 8th Jan, 2011 at 1:16pm

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

Hi Andy,
The demos that you mention are a fake. They were not done by Jett Powers, as suggested by the labels. When Elvis recorded these hits, Jett Powers didn't exist yet! James Marcus Smith had nothing to do with them either. Anyway, the name of the demo singer was never mentioned on the label in those days and PJ never recorded for Bell Records in New York.
The newly found demo however, is certainly sung by PJ. It's one of the many that he did for Ben Weisman. It was meant for Elvis. Sadly, we don't know for which Elvis Movie it was meant. Ben Weisman didn't register the song and there's no info on the date..
Does anybody have an idea where the title would fit in???
You can have a listen to a snippet on U.P's site, where it is now song of the month! 

If you don't try the impossible, you won't reach the impossible
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 8th Jan, 2011 at 7:39pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Hi y'all
    Most of Ben's Elvis songs were meant for his movies. But not all. I don't think this sounds like a movie song....it's too good!
    My favourite Elvis song written by Ben is "Fame & Fortune" recorded by Elvis after he left the army.He also sang it on the Frank Sinatra "Welcome Home Elvis" T.V. show.
    Those demo's Andy mentioned may not even be from the late 50's.Someone told me they could be Shakin' Stevens in 1977.Why the name Jett Powers appears on the labels is very strange & suspicious. Hopefully the mystery will one day be solved.
    P.J. actually did visit The Bell Studios in New York with his dad when he was young but as D.B. said he never recorded there.
     Ron Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 9th Jan, 2011 at 1:10pm

andy cole   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Hi Moderator and Ron

Thanks for that info regarding the fake demos that appeared recently on e bay, so glad now that I didnt win one of them.

As regards to the new demo found recently, listened to the clip on UP,s site and now cant wait to buy the disc and listen to the whole recording.

My cheque book is ready

Regards

Andy

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10th Jan, 2011 at 4:18pm
Joe   Ex Member

these p.j.proby (jett powers ) acetates were originally owned by me,they were definetly not jim,if you looked at the labels they were pure white,which also told me they had not been made that long ago,i bought them in the early 80's,there was a fourth one which was loud perfume/my troubles,i did keep this for some times as i did'nt have the songs in any form,but this sounded as though it had been copied onto the disc from the original vinyl,i sold it on later as i believed it was a fake,i am still looking for a copy of the original,i think it would be great if all the acetates that are around could be put onto one cd as a p j release
all the best joe

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 11th Jan, 2011 at 1:05pm
Manja   Ex Member

As we know, P.J. Proby did the demos for the Elvis Movies from Kid till he went to the UK in May 1964. He did all the demos for Ruth Batchelor and Ben Weisman.
This gives us the following list:
Kid Galahad (±October 1961):
     King Of The Whole Wide World (Ruth Batchelor)
     This is Living (Ben Weisman)
     Riding The Rainbow (Ben Weisman)
     I Got Lucky (Ben Weisman)
Girls, Girls, Girls (±March 1962):
     Because Of Love (Ruth Batchelor)
     Thanks To The Rolling Sea (Ruth Batchelor)
It Happened At The World’s Fair (±September 1962):
     Happy Ending (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)
Fun In Acapulco (±January 1963):
     Fun In Acapulco (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)
     Slowly But Surely (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)
Kissin Cousins (±October 1963):
     (outtake: Echo’s of Love - Ruth Bachelor)
Viva Las Vegas (±July 1963):
Roustabout (±February 1964):
     It’s Carnaval Time (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)
Girl Happy (±March1964):
     Girl Happy (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)
     Cross My Heart And Hope To Die (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)
     Do The Clam (Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne)

From “It Happened At The World’s Fair” onwards, Ben Weisman wrote together with Sid Wayne. (Happy Ending, a last minute song in September 1962).The songs for the movie Kissin Cousins were chosen by Gene Nelson and Fred Karger in September 1963. None of Ben Weisman’s songs were in. It’s very well possible Ben Weisman and Sid Wayne wrote “I’ll Keep Your Secret” for Kissin’ Cousins. It seems to fit in the script, about a woman having to choose between two men.
Any ideas anybody?

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 11th Jan, 2011 at 4:28pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

hi Manja,
    Ben used P.J.P. but he also had 7 or 8 other demo singers for his Elvis compositions for film & non film songs including "unknowns" Glen Campbell & Leon Russell.Who sang what songs on Ben's demo's we'll probably never know.It's such a pity Ruth,Ben & his partner Sid Wayne are all no longer with us,perhaps they could have given us the info we need.Ruth did a rare interview in the mid 60's & confirmed P.J. had done demos written by her for Elvis.She said he was brilliant but didn't name any of the songs P.J. did.
   "Echoes Of Love" was not written by Ruth but by Roberts/McMains.She did have 5 of her songs put in 3 different Elvis films in the period P.J. was doing her demo's but how many did P.J.sing? Phone a friend, ask the audience or take a 50/50 chance!!
     P.J. came over to England for The Beatles show in March 1964.So I think the Weisman demo's for "Girl Happy"  may have been done by some other singer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print