Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Official P.J. Proby Fan Forum

PJProby.net HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 21
Send Topic Print
PJ on SOTS (Read 190912 times)
20th Aug, 2011 at 10:08am
Barry   Ex Member

Just listening to Jim singing "Questions" on SOTS. Great that someone plays his songs every now and again.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 20th Aug, 2011 at 11:20am

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
P.J. is the best vocalist
ever!

Brian Matthew is a great admirer of P.J.'s music & "S.O.T.S." for me is the best music show on the radio.Today's show was one of the best ever.Six of the tracks played really "got me". Elvis singing "Something Blue",naturally P.J. with "Question",Billy Fury with "Once Upon A Dream",Tony Orlando "Bless You",Michael Holliday with "Drums" (every bit as good as the original by Jay & The Americans) & finally a little known singer, Tony Middleton, with "To The Ends Of The Earth" This song strikes me as a perfect one for P.J. to record.Take a listen to Tony on YouTube,it's great but I'm sure P.J. could improve on it.
    Sixties music will never be bettered..I love it whan I "pop" my clogs I'll have a 60's music funeral! LOL!
          Ron Wink

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 20th Aug, 2011 at 11:41am
Barry   Ex Member

You're right Ron. The 60s music will never be equalled, yet alone beaten. I didnt manage to catch all the show today, but I caught the best bit. And thats not a bad idea for the service when we all POP off. But chin up my friend, weve got a heck of a lot of time left to enjoy TheMan yet.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 20th Aug, 2011 at 6:26pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Hi Barry,
   You're right! A heck of a lot of time(touch wood!). Have you listened to that song by Tony Middleton, "To The Ends of The Earth" yet?, tailored made for P.J.'s voice! It's on YouTube or you can listen to a repeat of SOTS.I think it was the last song on the programme.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 20th Aug, 2011 at 7:27pm
Annie   Ex Member

I also thought Tony Middletons's song "To The Ends of the Earth" would be great for PJ - although the voice was not as good there were certain similarities.  I've sent my customary thankyou to Brian Mathew for his continued support. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 21st Aug, 2011 at 2:19pm
Barry   Ex Member

Just listened to the tune by Tony Middleton, and I agree PJ could do a very good version of this. Any chance do you wonder ?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 21st Aug, 2011 at 2:27pm
KathyB.   Ex Member

I am always sending in requests to all the DJs out there to play some PJ, maybe I am getting  through to them!!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 22nd Aug, 2011 at 7:10pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

P.J. would make "To the ends of the earth" his very own if he ever recorded it. Manja take a listen to it. It's virtually an unknown "classic".....seriously!
         Ron Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 3rd Sep, 2011 at 1:12pm
Annie   Ex Member

Incredibley Brian Matthew played an unknown Proby record - he sang with The Crickets.  It was the last item played on SOTS this morning - haven't the title at present, I need to relisten to get it but thought others might like to listen. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 3rd Sep, 2011 at 1:44pm
Annie   Ex Member

Have just listened again "Fell In Love with Her Face" recorded on Feb. 2nd 1962 - thanks to a guy called Ron Gwen who brought it to Brian's attention.  Apparently PJ was "auditioning" to join the Crickets.  What a gem.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 3rd Sep, 2011 at 2:20pm

George   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Well done Annie. I heard the record too but you beat me to it,  I wonder if anybody can shed some light on this new discovery.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 3rd Sep, 2011 at 4:52pm
Barry   Ex Member

When I first read this I was gutted. As usual, the first time for weeks that I wasnt able to listen to SOTS, A very rare PJ song was played. Thank heaven you can now go and listen again. What a gem. Thank you Anne & George for mentioning it, or I wouldnt have been any the wiser.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 3rd Sep, 2011 at 5:14pm

Bridgetc   Offline
P J Proby is the best
vocalist
hertfordshire

Thanks Annie, what a great recording for us to enjoy!

Best wishes Bridget

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 3rd Sep, 2011 at 11:20pm

Dave Harwood   Offline
P.J.Proby-the greatest
singer in the world
Berkshire

Sorry to put doubt on this but I am not sure where Ron Gwen got the information from. I assume Brian Matthew would have checked the story before repeating it but I have listened to this several times and to me it is not PJ singing on this.
Can Manja or Ron T confirm ?
Best wishes
Dave
« Last Edit: 4th Sep, 2011 at 11:50am by Dave Harwood »  
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 4th Sep, 2011 at 12:57pm
Barry   Ex Member

Have to agree with you Dave. Ive played it twice now, and am still finding it hard to pick up any of PJs twangs. There is always something when you hear Jim singing (cant put my finger on it), but I just dont get with this recording.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 21
Send Topic Print