PJProby.net HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Send Topic Print
PJ on SOTS (Read 192984 times)
Reply #15 - 4th Sep, 2011 at 1:08pm

andy cole   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Hi Dave and Barry

I have listened to the record as well and I would definately say it is NOT P.J. The wobble in the voice is just not right.

Andy Cry

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 4th Sep, 2011 at 4:01pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
P.J. is the best vocalist
ever!

I was surprised when Brian recounted this story on "SOTS". It was new to me & I was looking forward to hearing P.J.'s lead vocal BUT I have to say it didn't sound like him at all.I hope Manja can quiz P.J. about this.Of course he could have been singing in a totally unusual voice so never say never!! One thing that puzzles me though is this: Jerry Naylor was confirmed as the lead singer of The Crickets in 1960 & was so until he left to go solo in 1965.So why would P.J. have been after a job with The Crickets as lead singer in February 1962 when Jerry already had that position.Anyone know Ron Gwen so we can ask him where he got the story?
        Ron Smiley
P.S. Great song "Fell In Love With A Face". Also nice to hear the original of "Mission Bell" by Donnie Brooks but not a patch on the version P.J. recorded later!

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 4th Sep, 2011 at 7:00pm

George   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Sadly I have to agree with you guy's, it's not just the lack PJ 's unique voice it's the fact that nothing about him ever doing anything with the Crickets has been mentioned before.   
George

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 5th Sep, 2011 at 9:22am
Annie   Ex Member

Bear in mind this was recorded in 1962 - before he had put on his twangs, I thought it was him, doing Elvis of course - I have no reason to doubt it and this guy Ron is often sending in items to SOTS and I'm sure Brian Matthew wouldn't have played it if there was any doubt.  As you say Dave perhaps PJ himself can veriify that he had an audition to join The Crickets.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 5th Sep, 2011 at 11:18am
Barry   Ex Member

Bit of a funny one this. I hope PJ can shed some light on it, just to satisfy us all.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 5th Sep, 2011 at 12:55pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Brian said that Jerry got the job with The Crickets instead of P.J. This is not fact. Jerry was the lead singer already with the group.
    Plus an audition to join a group could not possibly mean you would go to the studio with the rest of the guys & cut a song. That would all be for later when you were officially a member of the group.
   By the way P.J. is supposed to be on a fairly recent Crickets CD singing "Rave On" with them. Savoy Records in Manchester gave me this info.They did not remember the label the CD was released on but they sent a copy to P.J. as they are still good friends with him.Savoy say the track was listed as being recorded in 1965 but Dave at Savoy believes it was more likely in 1962 so this falls in line with the time the "S.O.T.S." track was recorded. The mystery deepens!
    Ron Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 5th Sep, 2011 at 1:48pm
Annie   Ex Member

It's interesting to note that The Crickets and PJ were both under Liberty Records in 1962.  I've listened again and I still believe this is PJ.  As you say the mystery deepens.  If only we could locate Ron Gwen (I'm assuming this is the spelling), he is a PJ fan because I remember his name coming up when PJ was played on SOTS a few weeks ago.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 5th Sep, 2011 at 6:09pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

I'm Ron Ten(nant) but I do not know a Ron Gwen. If he's a big fan of P.J. surely one of us would know who he is. Plus most fans of P.J. are members of this forum. C'mon Ron expose yourself...no no!! not in that way! LOL!
     Ron Grin

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 6th Sep, 2011 at 8:08am

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

I've asked P.J. about this and he says he definitely never auditioned with The Crickets. His only connection with them was his drummer at Metric Music: Jerry Allison, who was also the drummer of The Crickets. I didn't get a chance yet to play the record for P.J., but will keep you all posted.
Manja

If you don't try the impossible, you won't reach the impossible
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 6th Sep, 2011 at 7:19pm
Barry   Ex Member

Will be interesting to hear just what PJ thinks after he hears this Manja.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 6th Sep, 2011 at 8:23pm

andy cole   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

If P.J. says its him Ill eat my hat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 7th Sep, 2011 at 11:00am
Barry   Ex Member

I think your digestive system is pretty safe Andy.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 8th Sep, 2011 at 12:03am

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

PJ has just listened to the song "Fell In Love With A Face" and it certainly isn't him. He has never heard the song before and never aspired to be "A Cricket". PJ says it might be Peter James!  Smiley
Another possibility would be Trini Lopez, who briefly joined the group. Whatever, PJ has nothing to do with this song. Maybe Brian Mathew or Ron Gwen could explain where they base this information on?

If you don't try the impossible, you won't reach the impossible
IP Logged

Reply #28 - 8th Sep, 2011 at 4:58pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

This song is growing on me.I've taken a look at Manja's comment on YouTube & interestingly there was a comment by another listener who thinks maybe the vocalist is a guy called Ronnie Smith.Anyone ever heard of him? I haven't but I'll research him.
        Ron

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 8th Sep, 2011 at 5:15pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Ronnie Smith was a vocalist hired to replace Buddy Holly after his plane crashed & he died on the 3rd February,1959 flying to the next gig on the "Winter Dance Party" Tour. It's possible Ronnie did the lead vocals on "Fell In Love With Face" but unlikely in my opinion. Here's why: The recording was made in February 1962. Ronnie was only hired for a few weeks in 1959 as a hurried replacement for Buddy on the tour alone.Plus Ronnie, in 1962, had serious drug problems & was committed to an asylum where in October,1962 he hung himself at the young age of 24.Tragic story!
           Ron Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Send Topic Print