Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Official P.J. Proby Fan Forum

PJProby.net HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Rituals. Kim Fowley was producer. (Read 22424 times)
2nd Aug, 2012 at 11:50pm

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

According to Kim Fowley P.J. Proby is singing falsetto on two singles of The Rituals from 1959. Kim Fowley was the producer. The Rituals were originally a Californian group, produced by Kim Fowley, but when Kim Fowley went to London with PJ and became his Master of Ceremonies for his shows, he gave the name The Rituals to a London group The Kossacks and produced them. So the original Rituals single is from 1959.

Have a listen to This Is Paradise (1959):
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
and to Gone:
« Last Edit: 30th Nov, 2012 at 5:01pm by Joep(U.P) »  

If you don't try the impossible, you won't reach the impossible
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 6th Aug, 2012 at 12:10am

Dave Harwood   Offline
P.J.Proby-the greatest
singer in the world
Berkshire

Hi Manja, We discussed this on the forum back in July 2009 and we found out that Kim Fowley produced this record in 1964 at the Olympic Studios in London.
PJ did backing vocals on "Gone" but not on "This is Paradise".
On "Gone" PJ made three contributions- The brilliant lead falsetto towards the end of the song, falsetto on the Gone Gone Gones and the bass on the Bom Bom Bom.This was told to me by Bern Finch of The Rituals.
Also you said that PJ had listened to the record and he confirmed that it was him on "Gone" . He said that there must be other Kim Fowley material around from that time as he was often in on Kim Fowley projects.
Maybe someone knows of other Kim Fowley produced recordings with PJ backing vocals from that period ?
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 6th Aug, 2012 at 5:26pm
Manja   Ex Member

Hi Dave, Thank you so much for your explanations to an old woman. I had forgotten all about it! Lots of senior moments nowadays.  Smiley
However, on YouTube and FaceBook Kim Fowley says it's PJ on the 1959 record This Is Paradise. I don't hear it. Could it be true that Kim Fowley produced the original recordings in 1959 in the USA and the rerecording in London in 1964? I'm really confused now...
Manja

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 6th Aug, 2012 at 6:58pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
P.J. is the best vocalist
ever!

My info is this: All 3 of The Rituals (English group) songs were recorded in 1964 for the Arwin label.
   In a 2001 interview Kim says that P.J. sang on "This Is Paradise" & also on "Gone".He added that P.J. did not sing on "Surfers Rule"
    Then in the sleeve notes he wrote for 2 new CD albums released in 2009 Kim stated that P.J. sang on "Surfers Rule" & "Gone" but said that P.J. did not sing on "This Is Paradise".
  So it looks like even Kim himself is not sure about which of the three 1964 songs P.J. sang on.Looks like P.J. was definitely on "Gone" but the other two songs are questionable.
    Ron Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 6th Aug, 2012 at 8:06pm

andy cole   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Hi

I Listened to both recordings " This is Paradise" and " Gone"
and It certainly could be P.J. on Gone. It sounded like his Falsetto . Not sure about the other song. Could have been anyone backing that track.

Certainly interesting though.

Andy

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 6th Aug, 2012 at 9:51pm

George   Offline
I Love P.J. Proby!

Hi all
  I listened to these recordings on saturday. If I'd had the time to post  I would have said the same as Andy, I can't pick him out on the first track but on "Gone" the Bom Bom Bom's are definately PJ  and i don't doubt for one minute the falsetto's are him as well, great stuff.      George.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 7th Aug, 2012 at 7:17am
Manja   Ex Member

The single by The Rituals on YouTube - Arwin records (nr 127) - was made in California in 1959. It's the original group, not the London group. So I've lost it completely again.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 7th Aug, 2012 at 10:42am

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Kim says he took the name from Arnie (Ginsburg) & The Rituals (1959) & that "his" Rituals were all English. He says P.J. did all his Arwin recordings with The Rituals in 1964.Looks like another mystery that will never be properly solved! LOL!
  Kim also says that the original "Gone" was made by The Rip Chords.It was written by Bruce Johnston & Terry Melcher. "Gone" was the flipside on 2 different Arwin singles according to Kim.
      Gone..oops! sorry! RON
                                   Grin

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 7th Aug, 2012 at 12:01pm

Dave Harwood   Offline
P.J.Proby-the greatest
singer in the world
Berkshire

Hi Manja, The discography listing the Arwin releases as 1959 is incorrect. This is Paradise was written by Bern Finch who was a member of the english Rituals and it was first recorded in 1964.
As far as I know the recording of "This is Paradise/Gone" although recorded by the english Rituals in London it was never released in the UK. It was released in the USA on the Arwin lable and also in Australia on the W & G lable.
I do have a copy of the Australian release which does say on the lable "Produced in England by Kim Fowley"
Best wishes
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 7th Aug, 2012 at 4:06pm
Manja   Ex Member

Thank you very much Dave & Ron! That really clears it up. Shows you never to trust what you read on The Internet.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 8th Aug, 2012 at 7:49pm

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Kim says that The Rituals were a wonderful band & "This Is Paradise" was a big 1964 turntable hit in Denver,USA. Kim explained that a turntable hit was a record that really did not sell many copies but got a lot of airplay.
          Ron Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 13th Aug, 2012 at 5:22pm
LorrainePearson   Ex Member

I couldnt hear PJ on This is Paradise.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 7th May, 2013 at 9:36pm

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

Hi Everybody!
We've just received a very nice reaction on this subject from Bernard Finch.  I have to put it on here in parts, sorry.

I was today reading with interest the posts from 2012 regarding the Kim Fowley recordings made in England in 1964 with the Rituals. I was a member of that band back then and remember the recordings well. PJ was living in London with Kim and we first met PJ at his Mews to discuss with Kim some potential numbers to record. After an unsuccessful mobile recording done with Kim in a canteen at Swan Mill Paper Company in Swanley we then went into a (at that time a state of the art 4 track) studio off Oxford Street a few weeks later and recorded "Gone" and "This is Paradise". This single was released in the USA, and, we were told, Australia, NZ, S Africa, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Alas - it never got released in the UK because according to KIm the record labels recognised Jim's voice.
Jim came to the studios at the session and brought a few of crates of lager with him so we could all be well oiled! He was great fun and a lovable person. During the recording I was asked to do a falsetto on "Gone" but I struggled with that, so Jim stepped and did it just brilliantly - as can be heard on the "Gone" recording. He also added the ultra low and ultra high backing parts too. I had the next highest voice and took the Bruce Johnston vocal "Yes she's gone, oh she's gone,  woa woa she's gone".

see next message

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 7th May, 2013 at 9:37pm

DutchBrand   Offline
Global Moderator
Never Give Up On What
You Do.

Our lead singer did the main part. For some reason Kim did not particularly like our lead singers voice. Jim was not on "This is Paradise" (which I was pleased to have written and even more pleased to have had it recorded and issued in a handful of countries.

A month later we went back and laid down "Heart & Soul" and "Surfer's Rule" (which was written by Kim during the session). I don't think these two recordings were ever released commercially back then. "Gone", "This is Paradise" plus "Surfer's Rule" were included on KIm's double CD release "One Man's Garbage", "Another Man's Gold" three or four years ago. I am still very close friends with the lead guitarist Bob, with occassional contact with the lead singer and drummer. The bass guitarist passed away about eight years ago. JIm was a great character with a phenominal talent, and it was always surprising that he was not an even bigger star than he was.

The reason for my email is that there was some uncertainty on those 2012 posts referred to about these recordings, but I guess it's probably too late to put the record straight now.

Best wishes
Bernard Finch

Thank you Bernard!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 8th May, 2013 at 11:59am

Ron   Offline
YaBB Moderator
ever!

Great to hear the facts from an important figure.So just to get the real info.....P.J. was on "Gone" & none of the others.
    I have the 2 Kim Fowley CD's "One Man's Garbage" and "Another Man's Gold" containing all of his lost treasures from 1969-1969 & I will listen to them again asap.
    Ron Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print